Monday, October 5, 2009

Middle Eastern Muffins


Okay, okay, so the muffins are actually from a mix sent in a care package from my mom last week. However, one perk of our new living situation is that there is a nice kitchen in the dorm basement. So far we've grilled hamburgers, made corn, baked pork chops and chicken and rice, and made countless cupcakes, cookies, and muffins. Carissa and myself are quite the chefs!

While making muffins this afternoon (thanks Mom!) I also did some reading for my Middle Eastern politics class. Coming into the class knowing relatively little about the Middle East, I've been a bit overwhelmed, but have learned a ton!

Like, for example, the fact that so many countries in that area are 99.9% muslim. Or that the reason why the US and West is generally disliked in the Middle East is fairly complicated and is not because "they hate democracy and American freedom!". If you're interested, I can muse on that more at a later date. For now, my thoughts are focused on the relationship between mosque and state in primarily Islamic countries. This issue is the topic of my research paper for the class. I'm quite curious to compare the mosque-state relationship in a couple middle eastern countries with the church-state relationship of the US.

And so that brings me to this afternoon as I read about Turkey for my class and make muffins. Middle Eastern muffins!

No comments: