
It looks like we have an apartment! While it's not made of candy, the soon-to-be-vacated apartment of a friend of mine looks like a great place for us to spend the next two years at Wash U. Woohoo! In addition, my future roommate Gretchen is bringing a dog from home, so we'll have a furry companion. I've never lived with a dog before--this should be fun.
I'm happy to be moving off campus. Our apartment is closer to the engineering school than my current housing, and now I will be free to buy my own food and cook for myself, instead of paying an arm and a leg for campus food (which, I admit, is rather tasty).
Besides the apartment excitement, the Haiti Project is progressing. Yesterday, I saw our brand new, larger scale burn chimneys (they're 18" in diameter, and 2' tall). We still have to put the finishing touches on them before we can use them next week.
On Friday we're building two briquette presses to compress the char into briquettes. Both presses compress briquettes inside of a 3" PVC pipe. The first uses a simple lever arm and the second uses a hydraulic bottle jack to compress the briquettes.
At the rate we're going, we'll have some trial runs for the large-scale peanut shell charcoal operations by the time we all leave for the summer. This makes me very, very happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment